abc-news national News

Timeline of investigation into Jussie Smollett’s attack claim

Timeline of investigation into Jussie Smollett's attack claim
When news broke of the alleged racist attack on a star from one of the preferred exhibits on tv, it riveted everyone, drawing the nation into a heated discussion about race, politics and superstar.

However because the investigation continued, growing skepticism about “Empire” actor Jussie Smollett’s story added monumental strain on Chicago investigators to get to the underside of what actually happened the night time he reported being the victim of a road attack.

On Tuesday, Smollett attended an emergency listening to together with his lawyer throughout which all costs towards him have been dropped, in response to the protection attorneys – a confounding finish to at least one of probably the most weird and baffling alleged legal attacks involving a Hollywood star in current American history.

The suggestion by Chicago police officials that the incident was a hoax infuriated investigators and far of America, devastated Smollett’s followers and the varied civil rights teams that publicly rushed to his defense – and almost destroyed the promising younger career of a person previously seen as a cultural position mannequin representing a new era of inclusion, variety and tolerance.

Here is a timeline of the Smollett case because it unfolded over the previous a number of weeks.

Jan. 22: Smollett reviews to police receiving a threatening letter sent to the Fox studio the place ‘Empire’ is filmed, containing threatening language and laced with a powdery substance investigators consider was doubtless crushed-up Tylenol.

Jan. 29: Smollett is allegedly attacked at 2 a.m. close to his condominium in Chicago. Two masked assailants poured “an unknown chemical substance” on him, probably bleach, and wrapped a rope around his neck, he advised police. In a follow-up interview with police, Smollett alleges that the attackers yelled “MAGA country,” a reference to President Donald Trump’s ‘Make America Nice Once more’ slogan.

Jan. 30: Chicago police announce in a tweet that they’re looking for two “persons of interest” who have been captured on surveillance video close to the scene and across the time of the alleged attack.

Jan. 31: Smollett’s household releases and emotional assertion describing the alleged attack as a hate crime. “In the early hours of Tuesday morning, our beloved son and brother, Jussie, was the victim of a violent and unprovoked attack. We want to be clear, this was a racial and homophobic hate crime,” the household wrote in the statement to ABC News. “Jussie has told the police everything from the very beginning. His story has never changed, and we are hopeful they will find these men and bring them to justice.”

Feb. 1: Smollett releases a brand new statement thanking his fans and reiterating that his account of the alleged attack has remained constant. “I am working with authorities and have been 100% factual and consistent on every level,” he stated in the statement. “Despite my frustrations and deep concern with certain inaccuracies and misrepresentations that have been spread, I still believe that justice will be served.”

Feb. 2: Smollett makes his first look on stage because the alleged attack, performing on the Troubadour in West Hollywood, California. “Regardless of what anyone else says, I will only stand for love,” Smollett stated, tearing up before beginning his set. “We hope that you all stand with us.”

Feb. 4: Chicago police launch the initial incident report concerning the alleged attack on Smollett. The report reveals that Smollett was apparently reluctant to report the attack, and that when police arrived at his residence to interview him, he was nonetheless sporting the rope round his neck. The report states that a 60-year-old good friend of Smollett referred to as the police on his behalf and stated the actor “did not want to report offense however he believed it to be in the best interest to.”

Smollett stated the attack occurred at round 2 a.m. as he was leaving a Subway restaurant. He advised police that two attackers gained his attention by yelling racial and homophobic slurs and commenced to beat him “about the face with their hands,” the report stated. “The primary aggressor was wearing a black mask concealing any facial features and both offenders were dressed in black,” in line with the report. “The victim does not remember any other distinguishing features of the offenders, or in which direction they fled,” it added.

Ten days passed with none developments within the investigation into the alleged attack, prompting growing skepticism about Smollett’s account on social media.

Feb. 13: Unbeknownst to the public, Chicago police investigators had been tracking the 2 “persons of interest” and have been aware of who they have been “for awhile,” a regulation enforcement source subsequently informed ABC News. Investigators discovered that these two men have been returning to Chicago on Feb. 13 from Nigeria and moved in. The pair have been detained on the airport, placed beneath arrest and brought in for questioning.

Feb. 14: In an exclusive interview with “Good Morning America” anchor Robin Roberts, Smollett stated he was heartbroken when he came upon that folks questioned the small print of his story. He defended himself towards skeptics who pointed out that it wasn’t till a follow-up interview with the police that he mentioned that the assailants yelled “MAGA Country!” at him. He also complained about misguided studies that he had informed police that the attackers have been truly sporting purple MAGA hats.

“For me, the main thing was the idea that I somehow switched up my story, you know? And that somehow maybe I added a little extra trinket, you know, of the MAGA thing,” Smollett stated. “I didn’t need to add anything like that. They called me a f—-, they called me a n—-. There’s no which way you cut it. I don’t need some MAGA hat as the cherry on top of some racist sundae.”

Within the ABC News interview, Smollett additionally confirmed studies that he was initially reluctant to contact the police or handover his cellphone to help with the investigation.

“They wanted me to give my phone to the tech for three to four hours. I’m sorry but — I’m not gonna do that,” the singer stated. “Because I have private pictures and videos and numbers: my partner’s number, my family’s number, my cast mate’s number, my friends’ numbers, my private emails, my private songs, my private voice memos.”

The same day the interview aired, Smollett is re-interviewed by Chicago police investigators. By evening, police sources confirmed that they obtained search warrants and raided the houses of the 2 individuals, recovering bleach, footwear, electronics and other gadgets.

Feb. 15: Chicago police announce that they’ve recognized and are questioning the two “persons of interest” captured on a surveillance video.

By noon, a CPD spokesman tells ABC News that the two ‘individuals of interest’ are, in truth, beneath arrest, and acknowledge that the pair has “a relationship with” Smollett. In an uncommon transfer for an ongoing investigation, police officers who had originally described the two as ‘persons of curiosity’ begin describing them as “potential suspects.” But by late that evening, investigators modified course and introduced that the 2 men have been launched with out expenses.

Feb. 16: Chicago police determine the 2 men they arrested and later released as brothers — Olabinjo and Abimbola Osundairo — both U.S. citizens of Nigerian descent.

Later in the day, police stated they have been “eager to speak to Jussie Smollett” based mostly on the brand new info they obtained after the interrogations. Police contacted the actor’s attorneys and stated their “intentions are clear.”

Yet in a late-night assertion from his attorneys on Saturday, Smollett hit again at the suggestion that the incident was a hoax, and expressed disbelief that the brothers might have been concerned.

“As a victim of a hate crime who has cooperated with the police investigation, Jussie Smollett is angered and devastated by recent reports that the perpetrators are individuals he is familiar with,” started a press release from Smollett attorneys Todd Pugh and Victor Henderson. “He has now been further victimized by claims attributed to these alleged perpetrators that Jussie played a role in his own attack. Nothing is further from the truth and anyone claiming otherwise is lying.”

“One of these purported suspects was Jussie’s personal trainer who he hired to ready him physically for a music video,” the statement continued. “It is impossible to believe that this person could have played a role in the crime against Jussie or would falsely claim Jussie’s complicity.”

Feb. 17: The Osundairo brothers, who have been interrogated by police investigating the alleged attack on Jussie Smollett in Chicago, informed authorities that the “Empire” actor allegedly paid them to assist him orchestrate and stage the crime, sources informed ABC Information Sunday.

The Osundairo brothers agreed to cooperate with authorities after detectives confronted them with evidence that they bought the rope — allegedly utilized in an attack that Smollett described to police as laced with racial and homophobic slurs — at a Chicago ironmongery shop, sources stated.

Feb. 18: The 2 brothers who have been interrogated by police investigating the alleged Chicago road attack on Smollett claim they helped him concoct the assault after he turned upset that a letter threatening him, sent to the “Empire” show’s studio, did not get sufficient consideration, sources advised ABC News.

A spokesperson for Smollett stated the actor’s attorneys are retaining an lively dialogue going with Chicago police on behalf of the actor.

“We are not racist,” Osundairo brothers stated in a press release. “We are not homophobic and we are not anti-Trump. We were born and raised in Chicago and are American citizens.”

Feb. 19: Chicago police say they are following up on a tip that on the night time Smollett reported being attacked, he was in an elevator of his house constructing with the 2 Nigerian brothers. Police later dismiss the tip as not credible based mostly on video proof.

Two federal officers inform ABC News that the FBI and U.S. Postal Inspection Service are investigating whether or not Smollett played a task in sending a threatening letter earlier than the alleged attack.

Chicago’s prime prosecutor, Prepare dinner County State’s Lawyer Kim Foxx, recuses herself from the investigation “out of an abundance of caution … to address potential questions of impartiality based upon familiarity with potential witnesses in the case,” in response to the Related Press. Foxx’s first assistant, Joe Magats, will oversee the case.

Foxx had acted as an early intermediary between Smollett’s family and the Chicago Police Department, in accordance with a press release released by her workplace.

“Shortly after the incident occurred in late January, State’s Attorney Foxx had conversations with a family member of Jussie Smollett about the incident and their concerns, and facilitated a connection to the Chicago Police Department who were investigating the incident,” Robert Foley, a senior adviser to Foxx, in line with WLS.

Feb. 20: Smollett has been charged with felony disorderly conduct for submitting a false report after allegedly staging the attack towards himself in Chicago, police and the state lawyer’s office confirmed to ABC News.

The cost of felony disorderly conduct carries a penalty of one to 3 years in jail, in response to the legal statute.

“Detectives will make contact with his legal team to negotiate a reasonable surrender for his arrest,” Chicago police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi stated on Twitter.

Smollett will seem for a courtroom listening to Thursday at 1:30 p.m., officers stated.

Smollett’s attorneys haven’t commented on the charge.

By Wednesday night, the Chicago Police Division had formally categorized Smollett as a suspect in an ongoing felony investigation for filing a false report.

The announcement, in a tweet from the Chicago Police Department’s verified account, represents one other beautiful twist in an investigation that has seen greater than its share of such developments.

The tweet also introduced that detectives are presenting evidence to a grand jury.

In the meantime, 20th Century Fox Television and Fox Leisure continue to face by the embattled “Empire” actor, and continue to disclaim stories that he was or is being written off the hit show. “Jussie Smollett continues to a consummate professional on set and we have previously stated, he is not being written out of the show.”

Feb. 21: Smollett turned himself in to Chicago police to face a felony cost of filing a false report, a criminal offense that, if convicted, might put him in jail for one to 3 years.

In an emotional press conference, Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie T. Johnson blasted Smollett on Thursday by which he stated that Smollett’s alleged staging of a hoax attack was a “publicity stunt…to promote his career.”

“Jussie Smollett took advantage of the pain and anger of racism to promote his career,” Johnson stated. “I am left hanging my head asking ‘why?’. Why would anyone, especially an African-American man, use the symbolism of a noose to make false accusations? … How can an individual who’s been embraced by the city of Chicago turn around and slap everyone in the city in the face with these false claims?”

Johnson charged that Smollett, an actor on the hit present ‘Empire’ who has persistently denied any position in staging the alleged attack, orchestrated it because he was “dissatisfied with his salary.”

In a brand new statement on Thursday, 20th Century Fox Television and Fox Entertainment officers stated that “[w]e understand the seriousness of this matter and we respect the legal process. We are evaluating the situation and we are considering our options.”

March eight: The Prepare dinner County State Lawyer’s Office declares that yesterday a grand jury indicted “Empire” actor Jussie Smollett on 16 felony counts of disorderly conduct for filing a false police report, in line with the Prepare dinner County State Lawyer’s Workplace.

The grand jury returned two separate sets of costs, Robert Foley, a senior advisor within the state lawyer’s office informed ABC News.

The first set is said to what Smollett advised officers concerning the alleged attack, together with that the attackers referred to as him racial and homophobic slurs, struck him with their arms, put a noose round his neck, and poured some type of chemical substance on him.

The second set of costs are associated to the second interview Smollett had with police concerning the alleged attack later that day.

March 26: At an emergency listening to in a Prepare dinner County courtroom in Illinois, all legal costs towards Smollett have been dropped.

“Jussie was attacked by two people he was unable to identify on January 29th,” his attorneys, Tina Glandian and Patricia Brown Holmes, stated in a press release. “He was a victim who was vilified and made to appear as a perpetrator as a result of fake and inappropriate remarks made to the public causing an inappropriate rush to judgement.

“Jussie and lots of others have been harm by these unfair and unwarranted actions. This complete state of affairs is a reminder that there should never be an try and show a case in the courtroom of public opinion. That is improper. It’s a reminder that the sufferer, in this case Jussie, deserves dignity and respect.”

“Jussie is relieved to have this example behind him and could be very much wanting ahead to getting again to specializing in his family, associates and profession.”

ABC News’ Stephanie Wash and Invoice Hutchinson contributed to this report.

Copyright © 2019 ABC Information Web Ventures.

About the author

Moncler